Saturday, June 13, 2009

Names

Trying to come up with character names is sometimes trying as well as interesting. Ida's last name is easy. American surnames don't require a lot of thought and they aren't tied up with religion or culture. So, meet Ida Dawson. Simple.

Sendhil on the other hand, and because I haven't the faintest idea about India, or Chennai, was a lot harder. To make it a little easier, I won't have him tied to any religion per se (although that might be impossible) and while I've chosen one for him, it might change as my research into his background and culture expands. I shot for "generic", common? (and generic is probably a dumb word, but I mean it in the terms of an American "Smith" or "Jackson") without too many cultural or religious ties. So, meet Sendhil Thampuran.

I think both of their names have a nice ring to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment